Mr Smith Goes to Londonby Toby Manhire
As Lockwood Smith is confirmed as our new UK high commissioner, here are some of the outgoing speaker's finest moments.
1. In August this year, Smith refused to let Gerry Brownlee stomp his way out of answering the question over whether he had received advice over Christchurch City Council selling assets to cover the rebuild.
2. From February 2012, Smith questions the intelligibility of a Winston Peters question, sparks a mini-storm, and ends up instructing the house to “take a deep breath and stop being so childish”. This is an edited clip – and edited/captioned by Whaleoil, who is hardly a neutral observer – but worth watching for the look on Smith’s face.
3. Here, in June 2009, Smith boots an irate Trevor Mallard out of the house, and embarks on a lengthy dissertation (as its described by Darren Hughes – remember him? – on decorum).
4. Here’s Lockwood Smith back in 2008, in his first days in the speaker’s seat, grappling with a knotty point of order from Michael Cullen. He gets it right, as far as I can tell, but if that doesn’t squeal your wheels, it’s worth watching to see Lockwood in frankly comical full regalia. (He ditched the wig not too long after.)
5. The prime minister, says Lockwood, is a very naughty boy (from 2010).
6. And, but of course, here’s Lockwood Smith in his former glory as a TV man. This is a clip of him introducing an evening’s television on TVNZ, probably from 1982 or thereabouts.
(He was better known for his quizmastering. Watch the 1980 final of W3 in full at NZ on Screen. And the 1983 final of It’s Academic, too.)
A decade on from the revolution of 2007, the pace and rate of change are exceeding our capacity to adapt to new technologies.Read more
Animals kept in close proximity, like battery chickens, are at risk of infectious disease outbreaks that require antibiotic use.Read more
Famous for his work splitting the atom, Ernest Rutherford also distinguished himself in secret anti-submarine research that helped the Allies win WWI.Read more
Why firefighters get the girl more often than the average bloke does.Read more