The Friday quiz, 02.11.12by Toby Manhire
You won’t feel a thing.
1. Which state’s newspaper devoted five articles to the new James Bond film, Skyfall, gushing over the “beautiful Bond girls” and “essential vodka martinis”?
2. What news event is this photo, from Mashable, all about?
3. Which film-maker endorsed Mitt Romney for the presidency because he can “finally put this country back on the path to the zombie apocalypse”?
4. “I wish to offer the people of New York a sincere, humble and unconditional apology. During a natural disaster that threatened the entire city, I made a series of irresponsible and inaccurate tweets.”
Which Twitter user, who sparked Hurricane Sandy rumours that duped mainstream media in the US, made the above statement?
5. Flooding has claimed 148 lives, and an estimated 134,000 people have been forced to abandon their homes. Where?
A N S W E R S
1. Vatican City’s L'Osservatore Romano.
2. Disney’s purchase of LucasFilm, for $4 billion. It was also reported that we're about to be hit on the head with Star Wars Episode 7.
3. Joss Wheldon.
4. @comfortablysmug. More here.
Formal complaint numbers hit 917 last year, a near doubling from 2012, as calls mount for an independent investigation body to monitor them.Read more
With the solo-mum-to-Cabinet humblebrag getting old, and not enough attention paid to her portfolios, the Deputy PM is now a liability for National.Read more
The Accusation has sparse and simple stories of ordinary people caught up in North Korea’s regime.Read more
Experts are starting to rethink the causes of rheumatic fever.Read more
Aucklander-gone-countryman Greg Dixon fulfills his lifelong obsession: owning a ride-on mower.Read more
“Just because it’s viral, doesn’t mean it should be broadcast as news.”Read more