The Friday quiz, 03.02.12by Toby Manhire
One of the questions is multiple choice.
2. According to an excitable writer for Mashable, Barack Obama’s appearance was “like a modern day reincarnation of FDR’s fireside chats”. His appearance where?
3. Which author took a swipe at e-books this week, saying:
A screen always feels like we could delete that, change that, move it around. So for a literature-crazed person like me, it’s just not permanent enough
4. The British Advertising Standards Authority upheld a complaint against which website for claiming, among other things, that it provides “reviews you can trust”.
5. A groundbreaking study has shown that users of which type of smartphone are most likely to use their device in the bathroom? (Clue: it’s either Android or BlackBerry or iPhone.)
1. They had tweeted jokingly/euphemistically about wanting to “destroy” America.
2. In a Google+ “hangout”.
3. Jonathan Franzen.
5. Android. “Android users are slightly more likely to use their phones in the bathroom compared to other device owners. About 87% of Android users have used their phone while going to the bathroom compared with 84% of BlackBerry users and 77% of iPhone users.” (Alternative explanation: iPhone users are liars.)
In the catalogue of disaster, is a Todd Barclay worse than a Matt McCarten?Read more
Tracking Helen Clark’s tilt for the top job at the United Nations, Gaylene Preston documented the creatures of the diplomatic world.Read more
Best known for her comedy roles, Jackie van Beek takes a dramatic detour in her feature-directing debut.Read more
Parisian Neckwear, founded in 1919, has survived depression, war, deregulation and a deluge of cheap imports. How? Just feel the cloth.Read more
Nearly 30 years after young Swedish tourists Urban Hoglin and Heidi Paakkonen disappeared in the Coromandel key witnesses say the mystery haunts them.Read more
With the advent of orphanage tourism, travellers think they're doing good. But they can often just be lining the pockets of the orphanages' owners.Read more