The Friday quiz, 12.10.12by Toby Manhire
Vandalism, obscenity and a witch’s hat.
2. Chinese writer Mo Yan won the Nobel prize for literature last night. What does the pen-name “Mo Yan” mean in English?
3. It’s been all about the Rothko vandalism this week. But here’s a different art vandalism story. What’s the missing word?
4. Another missing word(s) question. What two words – you’ve been given the first letters of both, dumbing down, etc – are these, as tweeted by a New York journalist to a Houston radio station?
5. Who wore a witch’s hat to a five-hour meeting with Julian Assange in the London Ecuadorian embassy on Monday?
A N S W E R S
1. Tony Abbott. Julia Gillard. Went viral, etc.
2. Do not speak.
4. Convicted rapist.
5. Lady Gaga.
A three-course meal inside prison walls proves a rewarding experience for food columnist Lauraine Jacobs.Read more
A court reporter who's covered both of Mark Lundy's High Court trials looks at how the case has evolved, as the Court of Appeal deliberates his fate.Read more
In 25 years of law practice, Mai Chen has helped many women – very often senior employees – who have suffered from sexual harassment.Read more
As odd as it sounds, China’s economic policy is being held hostage by its heavily skewed sex ratio.Read more
A new literary biography takes the measure of poet Allen Curnow, whose work helped define New Zealand’s voice.Read more
As a reality-TV show full of dramatic challenges, this new Labour-led Government has a lot going for it.Read more