The Friday quiz, 12.10.12by Toby Manhire
Vandalism, obscenity and a witch’s hat.
2. Chinese writer Mo Yan won the Nobel prize for literature last night. What does the pen-name “Mo Yan” mean in English?
3. It’s been all about the Rothko vandalism this week. But here’s a different art vandalism story. What’s the missing word?
4. Another missing word(s) question. What two words – you’ve been given the first letters of both, dumbing down, etc – are these, as tweeted by a New York journalist to a Houston radio station?
5. Who wore a witch’s hat to a five-hour meeting with Julian Assange in the London Ecuadorian embassy on Monday?
A N S W E R S
1. Tony Abbott. Julia Gillard. Went viral, etc.
2. Do not speak.
4. Convicted rapist.
5. Lady Gaga.
Formal complaint numbers hit 917 last year, a near doubling from 2012, as calls mount for an independent investigation body to monitor them.Read more
With the solo-mum-to-Cabinet humblebrag getting old, and not enough attention paid to her portfolios, the Deputy PM is now a liability for National.Read more
The Accusation has sparse and simple stories of ordinary people caught up in North Korea’s regime.Read more
Experts are starting to rethink the causes of rheumatic fever.Read more
Aucklander-gone-countryman Greg Dixon fulfills his lifelong obsession: owning a ride-on mower.Read more
“Just because it’s viral, doesn’t mean it should be broadcast as news.”Read more