10 things that you know are true but make no senseby Toby Manhire
Reddit users offer examples of facts they “accept intellectually, but still feel ‘wrong’”.
A thread at Reddit asks this of users: “What fact do you accept intellectually, but still feels ‘wrong’ to you?” The discussion exploded, attracting more than 23,000 comments.
Among them are these ...
1. The placebo effect.
2. That when I eat food, it's going to eventually be transformed into my body. It will become me, literally. I am made of what I've eaten. Bones, skin, joints, hair, nails...it's all dinners and breakfast cereal transformed.
3. Dinosaurs. Just dinosaurs in general.
4. Pretty much everything about quantum physics ... In most articles I read you can replace the words “quantum physics” with “magical unicorn power” and it would still make as much sense.
5. That physical objects are mostly empty space, but atomic forces make them feel solid.
6. That I'm going to die one day. Eventually... my body will just stop working and there is nothing I can do about it.
7. You can get from North Korea to Finland by going through one country.
8. Nothing before the big bang, Stephen Hawking said asking what was before is like asking whats north of the north pole. The philosopher in me doesn't like it.
9. That if you don't have a kid, you're the first one since your ancestral line started to not reproduce.
10. How Wednesday is spelled.
We don't want any David Cunliffe cod-bogan attempts to get down with the peeps, but MPs seem to be going way too far in the other direction this year.Read more
Dame Jenny Shipley on being the first woman Prime Minister, plus coups and coalitions, welfare reform and Winston Peters.Read more
McLaren is the definitive tale of New Zealander Bruce McLaren, who created a motor racing empire from his shed.Read more
Should schools be selling chocolate to raise funds? The Health Minister says it's ok, but nutrition experts disagree.Read more