10 things that you know are true but make no senseby Toby Manhire
Reddit users offer examples of facts they “accept intellectually, but still feel ‘wrong’”.
A thread at Reddit asks this of users: “What fact do you accept intellectually, but still feels ‘wrong’ to you?” The discussion exploded, attracting more than 23,000 comments.
Among them are these ...
1. The placebo effect.
2. That when I eat food, it's going to eventually be transformed into my body. It will become me, literally. I am made of what I've eaten. Bones, skin, joints, hair, nails...it's all dinners and breakfast cereal transformed.
3. Dinosaurs. Just dinosaurs in general.
4. Pretty much everything about quantum physics ... In most articles I read you can replace the words “quantum physics” with “magical unicorn power” and it would still make as much sense.
5. That physical objects are mostly empty space, but atomic forces make them feel solid.
6. That I'm going to die one day. Eventually... my body will just stop working and there is nothing I can do about it.
7. You can get from North Korea to Finland by going through one country.
8. Nothing before the big bang, Stephen Hawking said asking what was before is like asking whats north of the north pole. The philosopher in me doesn't like it.
9. That if you don't have a kid, you're the first one since your ancestral line started to not reproduce.
10. How Wednesday is spelled.
I predicted Bill English would lose the election and the winner would be Winston Peters. But no forecaster, including the PM, predicted her pregnancy.Read more
New essays on New Zealand-born US artist Len Lye elevate him to the status of Australasia’s most notable 20th-century artist.Read more
For about a third of infertility cases in New Zealand, there is no obvious reason why seemingly fertile couples struggle to conceive.Read more
More than one million images from Rykenberg Photography, taken around Auckland, are now in the Auckland Libraries Collection. But who are the people?Read more
A Golden Bay man spending his first night in his new house says he woke to find his bed, walls and floor covered in hundreds of creepy crawlies.Read more
There's a growing movement to stop the amount of wasteful plastic that goes into our oceans, but what about the tiny bits we can hardly see?Read more
The inconvenience to chlorine refuseniks is tiny compared with the risk of more suffering and tragedy from another Havelock North-style contamination.Read more