10 things that you know are true but make no senseby Toby Manhire
Reddit users offer examples of facts they “accept intellectually, but still feel ‘wrong’”.
A thread at Reddit asks this of users: “What fact do you accept intellectually, but still feels ‘wrong’ to you?” The discussion exploded, attracting more than 23,000 comments.
Among them are these ...
1. The placebo effect.
2. That when I eat food, it's going to eventually be transformed into my body. It will become me, literally. I am made of what I've eaten. Bones, skin, joints, hair, nails...it's all dinners and breakfast cereal transformed.
3. Dinosaurs. Just dinosaurs in general.
4. Pretty much everything about quantum physics ... In most articles I read you can replace the words “quantum physics” with “magical unicorn power” and it would still make as much sense.
5. That physical objects are mostly empty space, but atomic forces make them feel solid.
6. That I'm going to die one day. Eventually... my body will just stop working and there is nothing I can do about it.
7. You can get from North Korea to Finland by going through one country.
8. Nothing before the big bang, Stephen Hawking said asking what was before is like asking whats north of the north pole. The philosopher in me doesn't like it.
9. That if you don't have a kid, you're the first one since your ancestral line started to not reproduce.
10. How Wednesday is spelled.
In a region recovering from earthquakes, Marlborough’s book festival is growing each year.Read more
Does your ex drink too much, act impulsively and seem to fear nothing? Turns out, they could be a psychopath.Read more
New Zealand farmers could be under threat from a rise in plant-based products that mimic animal products such as burger patties, KPMG says.Read more
With up to 200mm of rain set to hit Dunedin, and memories of 2015 floods still fresh, the city's mayor Dave Cull says it's ready for the downpour.Read more