Seaside divorce rates, miners in Chelsea, and toilet injuriesby Toby Manhire
Demographic morsels from the UK and US.
New Zealand’s rescheduled census is now less than two months away, but lovers of demographic data can whet their appetites with a look at the recent UK results.
The key findings from the 2011 census of England and Wales can be found here, but BBC News Online has looked beyond the major headlines to find a bunch of intriguing tidbits.
• Blackpool has the highest divorce rate in the country – across the board, for some reason, seaside resorts rank higher in divorcee numbers.
• The highest counts of singles is in the north London suburb Islington.
• More people in London's posh borough of Kensington and Chelsea describe themselves as working in mining and quarrying than in Gateshead.
• Blaenau Gwent in southeast Wales has the lowest per-capita passport count.
• Norwich is the least religious city.
• Hoity-toity home county South Buckinghamshire has the highest number of cars per household, with more than 5% owning more than four of the things.
More morsels from the US come in the form of the Statistical Abstract of the United States. Among the snippets from the compendium (not a census), first published in 1878, that caught the New York Times’s attention:
• More people suffer injury on toilets than while skiing or snowboarding.
• More households have dogs than cats. But cat lovers are more likely to have multiple pets.
• More foreigners visited New York (9.3 million) than any other US city (Los Angeles is second with 3.7 million).
• The number of Americans eating peanuts is on the rise.
• The number drinking coffee is declining.
• Airport security agents confiscated 11,908 box cutters from travellers in 2007.
• Almost twice as many Americans belong to a fantasy sports league as book clubs.
MostReadArticlesCollectionWidget - Most Read - Used in articles
65786 2017-01-11 10:41:07Z World by Bernard Lagan
65592 2017-01-09 09:46:16Z Education by The Conversation
AdvertModule - Advert - M-Rec / Halfpage
66256 1/24/2017 12:00:00 AM
66256 2017-01-24 00:00:00Z Property by RNZ Read more
66332 2017-01-23 13:40:15Z Profiles by Clare de Lore Read more
66275 2017-01-23 11:29:17Z Social issues by Noted
Photos by Jenny Nicholls of North & SouthRead more
66260 2017-01-23 11:21:19Z Television by Greg Dixon Read more