Summer on the radioby Toby Manhire
An evocative inhouse ad at Radio Live.
The ad is not unusual in its construction – a voiceover, some hosts’ remarks, some newsreader announcements, spliced together. But what a story it tells. It needed to be written down.
I went back and listened again. It goes like this (each new line indicates a new voice):
- This summer, you'll find entertaining talk, and news as it happens, right here, 24/7.
- I’m happy if I’ve got a project. You know, if I’ve got something so sort of get into, something that’s taking me forward, or what have you.
- And just to hand, police investigating the homicide ...
- Do we really have to be perfect and try and reach our potential? Can’t we just cruise?
- A mountain-runner was found battered and bruised ...
- Night-time talk.
- That the name of her company comes from some old belief that when a woman pleasures herself, God kills a little kitten.
- A scene examination has been carried out after a Bay of Plenty stabbing ...
- Radio Live - for this summer’s most entertaining news and talk, as it happens.
For about a third of infertility cases in New Zealand, there is no obvious reason why seemingly fertile couples struggle to conceive.Read more
More than one million images from Rykenberg Photography, taken around Auckland, are now in the Auckland Libraries Collection. But who are the people?Read more
A Golden Bay man spending his first night in his new house says he woke to find his bed, walls and floor covered in hundreds of creepy crawlies.Read more
There's a growing movement to stop the amount of wasteful plastic that goes into our oceans, but what about the tiny bits we can hardly see?Read more
The inconvenience to chlorine refuseniks is tiny compared with the risk of more suffering and tragedy from another Havelock North-style contamination.Read more
Global warming's worst case scenario may not be as bad as previously thought, a new climate change study says.Read more