The five stupidest tweets by politiciansby Toby Manhire
The best of the dimmest Twitter efforts, including Sarah Palin and Anthony Weiner.
1. Sarah Palin in 2010 was feeling inventive.
Easy mistake to make. And easily remedied, too: compare yourself to some old playwright.
2. The most titanically stupid political post of all time is almost certainly that by US congressman Anthony Weiner, who in 2011 tweeted a picture of his, well - by name and by nature.
Avert your gaze if you're easily offended or made to vomit.
And to what distant corner of the political world has Weiner since been expelled? At time of writing, he's the frontrunner in the election for New York City mayor.
3. Scottish Labour hopeful Stuart MacLennan was given the boot following as series of abusive tweets such as this.
4. There's something sort of sweet about this effort by UK shadow chancellor Ed Balls. His tweet of simply his own name was not a tribute to the "Matt Damon" of Team America. More likely it was just Balls mucking up a search of his own name, and tweeting it instead.
It attracted thousands of retweets, and gave rise to something rather strange and wonderful: Ed Balls Day.
5. The latest and possibly best example of the form comes from the UK Conservative MP for South West Bedfordshire, Andrew Selous. He swiftly deleted the message, which welcomed his government's crackdown on beneficiaries, but not before he was made a laughing stock.
John Key asks Twitter what it thinks
How JG Ballard predicted social media, in 1977
John Key's six greatest social media photographs
How Twitter disappointed, like the 1960s
When Alistair Stuart MacLean sent his heroes up a sheer cliff, he knew he had to have a New Zealander in charge.Read more
If we want to feed the masses without wrecking the planet with more intensive agriculture, we might need to reframe our attitude to insects.Read more
A group of young artists are making sure their voices are heard in the discussion of decolonisation and the representation of Pacific bodies.Read more
Photographer Rebecca Zephyr Thomas describes how an anti-fashion phase has stuck with her through her life.Read more
Auckland's mayor Phil Goff is approaching his six-month mark in office saying he believes his two big budget ideas will eventually come through.Read more
A forgotten tragedy befell our first Special Forces in Churchill’s second bid for the Dardanelles.Read more