Government cans plans for mega-prison at Waikeriaby Craig McCulloch
Plans to build a new mega-prison at Waikeria have been scrapped, but the government has yet to decide what to do instead.
It would be the largest prison in the country.
The government has repeatedly delayed its response, but Corrections Minister Kelvin Davis confirmed on Sunday that the large-scale option had been taken off the table.
"We will not be building a mega prison," he said in a statement.
However, he left the door open to a smaller expansion, saying a final decision on the proposal was still pending.
"We will take action, but it will be considered and not reactive... I will be making a decision, but I want to make the right one for all those affected."
New Zealand is grappling with a ballooning prison population. The prison muster is just under 11,000 - nearly double the number of 20 years ago.
Mr Davis said he would thoroughly consider all the options to deal with the "capacity crisis" alongside Justice Minister Andrew Little and Police Minister Stuart Nash.
In recent months, the government has signalled it did not favour the mega-prison option.
Last month, Mr Little said Cabinet was seriously considering alternatives including smaller prisons closer to communities.
Last week's Budget included $200 million to set up temporary prison units to house 600 prisoners by the end of next year.
In response, the union representing prison staff said that would not be enough and warned morale was at an all-time low.
The Public Service Association (PSA) called on Mr Davis to "make a definitive statement" about his plans for Waikeria.
PSA spokesperson Willie Cochrane said he was still none the wiser and hoped for a clear decision "as soon as possible".
"Waikeria is in absolute drastic need for upgrading and modernising to allow for better rehabilitative services and more safety for staff.
"We are absolutely waiting with bated breath to hear back what the ideas are."
The government has committed to cutting the prison population by 30 percent in 15 years.
This article was originally published by RNZ.
It doesn’t say much, but there is something hypnotic in Dustin Feneley’s crowdfunded debut feature Stray.Read more
A National Party insider has told RNZ that Simon Bridges amended his personal electoral donation return to remove two donations totalling $24,000.Read more
The MP is denying he was responsible.Read more
In a reality-television landscape riven with cruelty, the popular Bake Off competition is actually nice to people.Read more
Guy Fawkes might only come around once a year, but the sale of fireworks means noisy nights for weeks after November 5.Read more
Investigative journalist Nicky Hager reveals a culture of impunity and cover-ups within the New Zealand Defence Force.Read more
The US is more divided than ever with the appointment of Brett Kavanaugh. The mid-term elections loom as the next round of bipartisan warfare.Read more
Like Boris Berezovsky and Alexander Litvinenko, many opponents of Vladimir Putin have died in strange circumstances in Britain.Read more